We advise companies and institutions in the Life Sciences sector on all aspects of their business. Our cross-disciplinary Life Sciences team is made up from a variety of practice groups within the firm, including Commercial, Intellectual Property, Competition, Regulatory, Dispute Resolution, Corporate and Banking and Finance. Our team has expertise and in-house experience of the legal issues that affect Life Sciences clients on a daily basis, including:
- The drafting, negotiation and termination of all kinds of commercial agreements, including agreements relating to licensing, joint development projects, marketing authorisations, warehousing and distribution, toll manufacturing and GMP requirements;
- IP strategy, protection and licensing;
- Contentious IP matters, including patent and trade mark disputes at all levels of the UK courts and coordinating multi-jurisdictional litigation;
- Competition law investigations, compliance and dawn raids;
- Regulatory issues;
- Commercial disputes and judicial review proceedings;
- Advertising and marketing issues;
- Corporate establishment, structuring and governance;
- M&A, investment, shareholding, fundraising and financing.
Our Life Sciences group advises a wide range of clients including some of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, biotech companies, clinical services providers, medical device manufacturers, providers of regulatory services and financial institutions with an interest in the sector.
Recent experience in the Life Sciences sector includes:
- Acting for a global pharmaceutical company on the outsourcing of manufacturing, distribution and warehousing services;
- Representing a leading chemicals and biotechnology company on a wide range of intellectual property licensing matters;
- Advising on trade mark infringement and competition law issues relating to the parallel importation of pharmaceutical products;
- Advising on Government restrictions in relation to controlled drugs;
- Advised on regulatory issues relating to the ABPI Code and the Medicines Act;
- Representing a global pharmaceutical company on a breach of contract claim relating to the supply of a patented drug;
- Representing the French subsidiary of an international pharmaceutical group in an ICC arbitration against a Spanish pharmaceutical company in a breach of contract dispute in respect of the licensing and supply of a pharmaceutical product;
- Advice for a leading provider of specialist rehabilitation services on public procurement law issues;
- Managing the roll out and negotiation of contracts relating to an innovative new product from the US to hospitals and health care providers across the UK, including advising on competition law matters such as pricing and discount issues;
- Acting for one of the UK’s leading banks on the financing of a pharmaceutical company to enable the manufacture of products (including enzymes, side-chains and amoxicillin) for distribution in the UK and overseas;
- Providing compliance programmes and training on anti-bribery, competition law, data protection and related issues.