Helena advises mainly corporate clients on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters.
Helena joined Stevens & Bolton from a Top 50 UK law firm in 2022.
Helena’s contentious experience ranges from negotiating senior exits and the drafting and enforcement of restrictive covenants to multi-day litigation in the Employment Tribunal. Her non-contentious experience includes the drafting, reviewing and negotiating of employment policies and contracts, outsourcing and consultancy agreements, advising on IR35, and advising on the employment aspects of share and asset purchase agreements (including TUPE). She regularly supports HR teams and in-house counsel at a strategic and practical level in relation to matters such as restructuring, redundancy, disciplinary and grievance processes and long-term sickness absence.
Helena advises across a variety of sectors including recruitment, leisure and hospitality, education and charities.
Recent highlights include:
- Assisting a hospitality client to re-outsource its multimillion pound catering contract, in particular, dealing with large holiday pay liabilities accrued by the outgoing supplier
- Advising various recruitment agencies on alleged breaches of restrictive covenants by former employees and enforcing such covenants where appropriate
- Advising an international consultancy on the application of the Off Payroll Rules to its business model and updating its terms and conditions with its consultants and clients to reflect this, including delivering training to the consultants so that they understood the basis for the changes to the terms and conditions as a result of the rule changes
- Advising a large firm of financial advisors on their senior service contracts during the purchase of the client books of their long standing self-employed advisors and transitioning those advisors to becoming employees of the firm, as a condition of a multi-million pound investment round
- Defending a large school against race and sex discrimination claims by both staff and pupils
- Advising the trustees of a charity on exiting the CEO on the basis of a breakdown in trust and confidence and ultimately settling the unfounded discrimination and unfair dismissal claims arising thereafter
Helena is a member of the Employment Lawyers’ Association and a regular contributor to various HR journals.