Melanie advises on the tax aspects of a range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including M&A, private equity, real estate investment, reorganisations and corporate finance.
Melanie joined Stevens & Bolton in 2019 from a leading US law firm, where she practised in the tax and benefits group.
Her advisory practice encompasses all direct and indirect tax matters, including equity incentive schemes. Melanie acts for charities, individuals, management teams, business owners/entrepreneurs, asset managers, financial institutions and large multinationals.
Recent highlights include advising:
- The shareholders of BBS Consultants & Actuaries Ltd on the sale of the company to Broadstone, one of the UK’s leading employee benefits and pensions consulting businesses. Advice included exit tax planning and the exercise of employee share options
- Bakkavor Group plc, the leading provider of fresh prepared food and a FTSE 250 listed company, on its acquisition of Blueberry Foods, a desserts business owned by Samworth Brothers Ltd
- Various clients on legal and strategic matters in connection with adjustments to the “Off Payroll Working” rules (known as IR35)
- The shareholders of an advertising hoardings business on the sale to a private equity backed company
- A leading chain of restaurants on the restructuring and acquisition of a well-known national casual dining group
- Investors and investee companies on start-up equity fundraisings and availability of investor tax reliefs
- Various clients on the design and implementation of employee equity incentive schemes, including EMI options
Melanie is a member of the firm’s retail sector group and has authored a number of articles on topical tax matters.