Yasmin advises companies, insolvency practitioners, lenders and individuals on a wide range of UK and cross-border financial issues incorporating both corporate and personal insolvency.
Yasmin joined the finance, restructuring and insolvency team at Stevens & Bolton LLP in September 2019, having trained at a national law firm.
She has experience in both insolvency-related litigation including applications under the Cross Border Insolvency Regulations 2006 and out-of-court and non-contentious issues including strike off and restoration, members’ voluntary liquidation, advice on directors’ duties and insolvency options, schemes of arrangement and the appointment of receivers.
Recent highlights include assisting with:
- Advising the investors of a peer-to-peer lending platform and a hotel development scheme on various issues including the enforcement of loans by way of the appointment of administrators and winding up petitions
- Obtaining recognition of Botswanan Liquidators’ appointments in the UK, including successfully making applications to the Court under the Cross Border Insolvency Regulations 2006
- Supporting a corporate group simplification exercise including effecting share capital reductions and a members’ voluntary liquidation and preparing an application for the re-use of company names under section 216 of the Insolvency Act
- Advising Trustees in Bankruptcy in asserting various claims relating to the transfer of beneficial interest in the bankrupt’s primary residence, including void disposition, transactions defrauding creditors and transaction at an undervalue
- Advising former directors and shareholders in defending various claims relating to the transfer of the business to new owners, including transaction at an undervalue and breach of directors’ duties
- Advising an Irish company on the drafting and implementation of an English scheme of arrangement with certain of its creditors under Part 26 of the Companies Act 2006
- Advising boards of directors of large casual dining businesses on their common law and statutory duties as directors, incorporating advice on wrongful trading, paying critical creditors, segregating funds and restructuring
Yasmin was awarded Hampshire Law Society’s Junior Lawyer of the year in 2019 and in the following year became the chair of the Surrey Junior Lawyers Division. The Surrey Junior Lawyers Division regularly coordinates networking, training and support events for other junior lawyers in the Surrey region. Yasmin is also on the committee for Guildford Junior Professionals which organises networking events for junior professionals across all industries in Guilford.