Sarah advises on a broad spectrum of corporate tax and incentives matters, both domestic and international, for corporates (ranging from start-ups to listed multinationals), entrepreneurs, managers, and investors.
After starting her career in procurement and supply chain management in the oil industry, Sarah trained at a City firm and joined Stevens & Bolton in 2014 on qualification.
Her corporate tax practice includes advising in relation to M&A, private equity transactions, restructurings, demergers, UK real estate, VAT and stamp taxes. Sarah has particular expertise in advising both corporates raising funds, and individuals investing, through the Enterprise Investment Scheme. She regularly advises on the design and implementation of employee share schemes (including incentive arrangements for key management and related corporate governance), exit planning strategies and shareholder-related tax issues, which is an area of interest for her. Sarah also advises in relation to the taxation of termination payments for senior management and their entitlements under various incentive plans.
Recent highlights include advising:
- The management team of Stackhouse Poland Group Ltd, a specialist insurance broker and long-term client, on its sale to US headquartered global insurance brokerage and risk management firm, Arthur J. Gallagher & Co, including the exercise of employee share options and exit tax planning
- The founders of Intelligentgolf, a leading web-based provider of golf club and competition management software, on its sale to ClearCourse Partnership LLP, including individual exit tax advice and planning
- The founders and existing investors of Inzpire, a multi award-winning supplier of advanced defence managed services, on the sale of shares to the QinetiQ group, including the exercise of employee share options
- Fuller, Smith and Turner plc on its acquisition of Bel and the Dragon country inns portfolio in Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire
- Business Growth Fund on its recent investment in Dianomi Ltd, a high-growth technology company
- Electric Playbox Ltd (formerly Immersive Games Ltd), a new start-up from the co-founder of Tough Mudder, on its fundraising of £2.5m through both venture capital and angel investors
- Investors and investee companies on start-up equity fundraisings and availability of investor tax reliefs, including obtaining advance assurance from HMRC and negotiating investment agreements
- Various clients on the design and implementation of employee equity incentive schemes, including EMI options
Sarah is a member of the Shareplan Lawyers group, as well as the firm’s entrepreneur and life sciences sector groups. She is also co-editor of Business Bridge, our entrepreneur-focused publication.