Charles specialises in general commercial, contract, ecommerce, data protection, IT and intellectual property law for businesses and individuals. Charles also co-heads the sports and automotive sector groups.
Charles joined Stevens & Bolton in 2016 having trained and worked at a City law firm, and became a partner in 2020. Charles has spent time on a number of secondments during his career (including time at Belron, Nike and Hermes Fund Managers) and regularly draws on this experience to provide targeted and concise commercial and legal advice to clients.
Charles advises a range of different types of commercial clients, spanning from start-ups to established, well-known brands and on both “buy” and “sell” sides of the market, which helps give valuable insight into commercial trends. Charles has a particular interest in advising on the implementation and acquisition of new technologies, including in the automotive sector where Charles regularly advises on the procurement and supply of technology and leverage of digital assets in the automotive supply chain. Charles also has significant experience of advising on outsourcing transactions, including in the financial services sector.
In the sporting world, Charles has acted for clubs, teams, unions, sponsors, agencies and player management companies, predominantly in motorsport, football, rugby and golf. Charles has also undertaken a number of high profile transactions in a sports retail context.
Recent highlights include advising:
- SecurMed on its implementation and management of the UK Medicines Verification System
- AB-Inbev on a range of contractual matters, including negotiation and general contract advisory work
- A leading vehicle glass repair and replacement group, Belron, on a range of technology and data protection matters
- A leading digital infrastructure business on the roll out of its pioneering full fibre offering in the UK
- An international law firm, Loyens & Loeff, in connection with its client’s automotive telematics solution
- In connection with the establishment and operation of a leading sports retail buying group in the UK and Ireland
- A consortium of US investors in Dugout, a JV arrangement involving top European football clubs
- MediaDrive in connection with its deal with Discovery Channel for the sale of digital advertising across the PGA and European Tour digital platforms
- Jenahura in connection with its player management and sponsorship arrangements with tournament professional golfers as well as the establishment of the Jenahura Tour Academy
Charles regularly contributes articles on a wide range of topics, and his sports law blog can be read at http://www.lawinsport.com/blog/charles-maurice. He is also a member of the Society for Computers & Law.
Charles is regularly recognised for his work in leading legal directories, and is regarded as a Rising Star in the 2020 edition of The Legal 500.