Helen specialises in all aspects of property-related disputes and is head of the real estate disputes team.
Helen joined Stevens & Bolton in 2007 having trained and qualified in London, becoming a partner in 2013.
Her practice primarily focuses on commercial property disputes and advice, covering all areas of landlord and tenant work (including lease renewals, breach of covenant claims, dilapidations), contractual claims arising from dealings with land, development issues including restrictive covenant claims and rights of light. Helen also advises on the impact of insolvency on property interests generally, and advises private clients on their property issues.
Helen acts for a wide range of clients across multiple sectors who appreciate her practical advice on often complicated technical points, including large corporate occupiers, investors and developers as well as individuals. With a clear understanding of the commercial aims of her clients at the outset, Helen will advise on the most appropriate way to deal with any issues or opportunities whether through the court or alternative means of dispute resolution such as mediation or PACT.
Recent highlights include:
- Extensive Covid-19 related advice on landlord and tenant issues around commercial lease liabilities and new legislation for multiple landlord and tenant clients
- Advising on easements and covenants issues related to a proposed multi million pound development site
- Advising on lease renewal strategies to ensure a major corporate occupier’s continued presence in its UK head office
- Advising a developer in threatened injunction proceedings on a contract dispute over acquisition of a site
- Advising in a substantial right of way dispute key to a new development, against threatened proceedings by the developer to secure a substantial payment for release of rights
- Dealing with rights of light settlements related to City developments
- Acting in lease renewal proceedings headed for trial on contested valuation evidence
- Advising an investor landlord on a complicated tenancy dispute over the status of the occupier and options for removal and termination
Helen is often quoted in the national and property press including The Times, Property Week and Estates Gazette and speaks at seminars and panel events. She is a member of the Property Litigation Association.