Katie has been working for Stevens & Bolton as a consultant since early 2018. Katie advises on almost all aspects of personal tax and trust matters onshore and offshore and has over ten years’ experience.
Katie previously trained and worked at the international law firm Baker McKenzie for the entirety of her legal career (which included a client secondment to Jersey and also a secondment to Baker’s Zurich office). During her formative years, Katie was educated not only in England, but also in Ireland, Thailand and Russia. Katie’s work invariably involves an international dimension!
Katie has considerable experience in:
- Cross-border estate planning;
- Advising non-UK domiciled individuals on their personal tax position (including the UK statutory residence rules, the remittance basis and the UK tax treatment of offshore structures);
- Providing inheritance tax and succession planning advice for both UK domiciled and non-UK domiciled individuals (and also considering aspects of business property relief and agricultural property relief);
- Co-ordinating advice with advisers in multiple jurisdictions on various holding structures for international assets and providing bespoke solutions for succession planning, asset protection, charitable purposes, family governance and tax efficiency;
- Drafting Wills and codicils (with international assets);
- Drafting and negotiating trust deeds and all ancillary trust related documentation;
- Advising on the interpretation of trust documentation and Wills;
- Preparing Lasting Powers of Attorney;
- Advising trustees on fiduciary risks;
- Highlighting UK tax and common law trust issues to assist in reaching pragmatic solutions in both a contentious and non-contentious trust context (including large family trust structures);
- Drafting and reviewing settlement agreements involving trustees and their beneficiaries on a variety of issues (including related trust documentation); and
- Advising charities as well as philanthropists considering setting up a charity on various aspects of UK charity law and the associated UK tax treatment.
Katie is a Full Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) having completed the STEP Diploma in Trusts and Estates (England and Wales). Katie has also been a finalist at the British Legal Awards and was awarded Citywealth’s Tomorrow Club Woman of the Year Award (2010), and has also been listed twice in Private Client Practitioner’s “Top 35 Under 35” Survey (2011 and 2009).