Tom advises businesses and individuals on the full spectrum of intellectual property matters, with a particular focus on infringement and ownership disputes, licensing agreements and IP protection strategies.
Tom joined Stevens & Bolton as a trainee in 2013. He qualified into the IP team in September 2015 and in June 2016 completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law from the University of Oxford.
Tom regularly advises clients on disputes relating to trade marks, passing off, copyright and confidential information, as well as IP ownership and reputational management issues. He also has extensive experience advising on transactional work, including cross-border licensing agreements and IP acquisitions.
Tom has particular expertise in the sports, technology & media and life sciences sectors and acts for a wide range of individuals, owner-managed businesses and global brands.
Recent highlights include:
- Providing regular legal support to a global biotechnology company on IP licensing matters, including negotiating complex cross-border patent and knowhow licence agreements with major pharmaceutical companies
- Advising two Premier League football clubs on brand enforcement matters, including trade mark and passing off disputes, domain name complaints and copyright infringement issues
- Acting for a major global technology company on a series of trade mark infringement disputes arising out of unauthorised modifications and repackaging of branded electronic goods
- Advising some of the key rights holders in the horse racing industry on a cross-border IP infringement dispute relating to the protection and misappropriation of horse racing data
- Providing strategic advice to a fast-growing digital gaming venture on trade mark filings and wider IP protection
- Successfully negotiating settlement of a copyright ownership claim relating to a business logo for a leading multi-national petroleum conglomerate
- Advising a former Formula One world champion on a book publication agreement
- Acting for a world-leading supplier of industrial gas on a series of patent entitlement disputes concerning jointly developed technologies
Tom has written articles and commentary for a number of leading publications (including the national press) and is a regular contributor to Intellectual Property Magazine and LawInSport.
Tom has also been listed in the Legal 500 as a recommended individual for sport.