Tom advises businesses and individuals on the full spectrum of intellectual property matters, with a particular focus on infringement and ownership disputes, IP licensing and acquisitions and IP protection strategies.
Tom joined Stevens & Bolton as a trainee and qualified into the IP team in September 2015, before completing the Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law at the University of Oxford.
Tom regularly advises clients on contentious IP matters relating to copyright and designs, brand protection, patents, and confidential information. He also has extensive experience advising on licensing and transactional work, as well as IP ownership and entitlement issues.
Tom has particular expertise in the sports sector and he is co-head of the firm’s sports practice, advising a number of high-profile sports clubs, organisations and athletes. He also has vast experience acting for clients in the media and entertainment, life sciences and technology sectors.
Recent work highlights include:
- Advising two Premier League football clubs on brand enforcement matters, including trade mark and passing off disputes, domain name complaints and copyright infringement issues
- Advising some of the key rights holders in the horse racing industry on a cross-border IP infringement dispute relating to the protection and misappropriation of horse racing data
- Providing strategic advice to a fast-growing digital gaming venture on trade mark filings and enforcement, as well as wider IP protection strategies
- Advising a former Formula One world champion and high-profile fitness blogger on book publication agreements
- Advising an England international cricketer on exploitation of image rights
- Acting for a major global technology company on a series of trade mark infringement disputes arising out of unauthorised modifications and repackaging of branded electronic goods
- Acting for the current trading entity of a Formula One team on a variety of brand enforcement matters
- Providing regular legal support to a global biotechnology company on IP licensing matters, including negotiating complex cross-border patent and knowhow licence agreements with major pharmaceutical companies
- Representing a listed food manufacturing company in a High Court claim for breach of confidence, concerning confidential information in secret recipes and food processing techniques
- Successfully negotiating settlement of a copyright ownership claim relating to a business logo for a leading multi-national petroleum conglomerate
Tom has been listed in both The Legal 500 and IP Stars as a “Rising Star” for intellectual property work and sport.
Tom has written articles and provided commentary for a number of leading publications (including the national press and BBC radio) and he is a regular contributor to Intellectual Property Magazine and LawInSport.