Health and safety legislation is relevant to and affects every business operating in the UK today.
When a health and safety issue affects your business you need to act quickly and decisively to minimise the potential impact. Stevens & Bolton is one of the few law firms in the south with specialist health and safety expertise.
We assist clients in handling health and safety emergencies (including those following fatalities and severe injuries) and defending prosecutions to ensure that harm to our clients’ reputations is kept to a minimum. We also provide guidance to clients on their obligations under health and safety legislation and the best way to comply with those obligations (including drafting and reviewing incident management plans).
Our experience includes:
- Acting for one of the UK’s leading independent contract caterers in relation to a prosecution brought under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (and associated legislation) arising out of an incident of carbon monoxide poisoning affecting its employees.
- Acting for one of the UK’s leading providers of day care services in relation to an investigation by the local authority into an incident in which a child was seriously injured during play.
- Advising a waste management company on health and safety compliance and risks associated with use of industrial machinery.
- Acting for a company prosecuted for a number of offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 following an unannounced inspection.
- Advising a construction services company on the effect of prohibition notices imposed by the local authority under health and safety legislation.