Stephen is a dual qualified lawyer and chartered engineer and specialises in both contentious and non-contentious construction and engineering projects.
Stephen trained and worked with a national and international city law firm for 14 years before joining Stevens and Bolton in 2015 as a partner and joint head of the construction and engineering team. Prior to qualifying Stephen worked in the construction industry, both as a contractor and a consultant, in the UK and Canada.
Stephen has wide experience advising clients across a broad range of construction and engineering projects. He advises on procurement, the drafting and negotiation of building contracts, consultant appointments, bonds, guarantees, partnering agreements and framework agreements and the construction aspects of funding agreements, joint ventures, agreements for development and lease. He also provides “live project advice” based upon his legal and construction industry experience. He specialises in working with project teams to identify project risk and how to manage it. He often runs risk workshops for clients. Clients include investors, developers, office occupiers, universities, local authorities, pension funds, banks, contractors and consultants across the retail, real estate, construction, finance, education and manufacturing sectors.
Recent highlights include:
- Advising a major cancer charity on the procurement and construction of a large research facility
- Advising an international pharmaceutical company on a flagship project
- Advising on the head office move for an international electronics manufacturer
- Advising several wealthy private clients on the procurement and construction of their homes
- Advising an international developer on the management and procurement of three major residential projects in London
- Setting up framework agreements for several clients including the Royal Albert Hall
- Advising employers and contractors on payment, COVID-19 and BREXIT issues