Tim advises on all aspects of restructuring and corporate and personal insolvency, including distressed business sales. His clients range from insolvency practitioners, corporates, stakeholders and other investors to directors and individuals. He has particular expertise in matters involving insolvency litigation.
Tim joined Stevens & Bolton in 1995 as a trainee and initially qualified into the dispute resolution team, specialising in insolvency litigation. Tim led the firm’s cross-practice insolvency team in 2007 and became a partner in 2010. He currently (together with David Steinberg) co-heads the restructuring and insolvency practice.
Recent highlights include:
- Acting for insolvency officeholders on numerous pre-pack/administration sales of businesses and assets in the marine, food, telecommunications and casual dining sectors
- Acting for liquidators of a UK company in claims against its directors/parent company (all based overseas) for breach of duty, unlawful dividends and setting aside of undervalue and preference claims
- Advising a regulated investment company on its restructuring and recovery action, following the misappropriation of funds by shareholders, including liaising with the FCA concerning proposed share divesture and settlement terms, and HMRC relating to associated tax liabilities
- Advising a large corporate group in undertaking a significant simplification exercise via solvent liquidations and strike-offs, including dealing with intragroup loans/debt waivers, share capital reductions and appropriate bank consent
- Advising a board of directors in a construction company (including on directors’ duties) facing financial crisis due to severe cash-flow deficit and succession issues, including seeking external funding/equity investment and the eventual rescue of the business
- Advising a cross-border private equity fund on enforcing its rights under a convertible loan instrument, and as stakeholder in, an English corporate group and its proposed restructuring, including conversion to one share class, equity issue and debt/equity swap
- Acting for various investors regarding recovery of their proprietary and/or loan investments, including court proceedings seeking winding up and administration orders, against a particular hotel group of companies, effectively conducted as Ponzi schemes
- Acting for and advising trustees in bankruptcy (including cross-border and achieving recognition of their appointment in the UK), on various claims involving litigation concerning sham trusts, void dispositions, undervalue and transactions defrauding creditors
Tim is a member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association, INSOL and ABI (American Bankruptcy Institute). He speaks at seminars/(and more recently) webinars and writes articles for various legal and industry publications including Insolvency Intelligence, Accountancy Today and Accountancy Age. He also provides comment for the national press including The FT, The Independent and The Guardian.