Administering the estate of someone who has passed away can seem like a daunting task, with many different steps to carry out at what is likely to be an emotionally challenging time.
Our probate solicitors can offer clear, practical guidance through every aspect of estate administration, making this process as straightforward and stress-free as possible for you. Whether you need help with a single issue, such as obtaining grant of probate, or would prefer we handle the whole estate administration process for you, we are happy to help.
At Stevens & Bolton, our highly experienced probate solicitors can help you with:
- Legal advice and support for executors
- Obtaining a Grant of Probate
- Administration of the estate
- Navigating intestacy (where the deceased did not leave a valid Will)
- Advice for beneficiaries of estates
- Establishing and advising on trusts created under the deceased’s Will
- Dealing with the tax affairs of the deceased
- Resolving probate disputes
- Advice on Deeds of Variation and other post-death planning
Our team regularly deals with high value and complex estates, including those with international assets, as well as more straightforward estates.
We are ranked Tier 1 for Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate by the Legal 500. Several of our team are also highly ranked by Chambers & Partners for their Private Wealth Law expertise, including Nick Acomb and Daryl Fox.
Eleven of our team are members of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP), the leading global association for inheritance and succession planning professionals.
Find out how our probate solicitors in Guildford can help you
For clear, sensitive probate and estate administration advice in Guildford, Surrey and the surrounding area, please get in touch with our expert probate solicitors now.
Our probate services in Guildford
Support for executors
Our probate solicitors in Guildford can provide sensitive, practical legal advice and support for executors, including for:
- Obtaining grant of probate
- Completing inheritance tax returns
- Collecting in the deceased’s assets
- Distributing assets to beneficiaries
- Preparing estate accounts
Where the deceased did not leave a valid Will, we can guide you through dealing with intestacy proceedings, including:
- Securing letters of administration
- Paying inheritance tax
- Collecting the estate assets
- Distributing the assets according to intestacy rules
- Preparing estate accounts
- Dealing with claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
Establishing and administering Will trusts
Where a Will makes provision for a trust to be set up, our team has the expertise to deal effectively with matters including:
- Establishing the trust
- Advising trustees
- Acting as professional trustees
- Resolving trust disputes
Professional estate administration service
Should you wish to have the administration of an estate handled for you, our team can provide a professional estate administration service, taking care of every aspect of the process. This ensures every detail is properly dealt with while making things much less stressful for you.
Our probate lawyers are particularly skilled on dealing with all types of contentious probate and inheritance disputes. We are ranked Tier 3 for Contentious Trusts and Probate by the Legal 500 and Dispute Resolution Partner James Lister is Band 1 ranked by Chambers & Partners for Private Wealth Disputes.
Our team can assist with matters including:
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- Disputing the validity of Wills
- Will fraud
- Disputes over the conduct of executors and estate administrators
See how we can help with inheritance disputes.
Our probate fees
The cost of probate will depend on the specific circumstances, including the value of the estate and the complexity of any issues that need to be dealt with.
During your initial consultation with our team, we will discuss your situation and requirements, then provide a realistic estimate of the expected costs.
See our probate pricing for more information.
Why you can rely on our probate lawyers in Guildford
“The advice provided by the team is both ‘impeccable and wise’.”
THE LEGAL 500 UK
Over the years, our probate lawyers have earned a reputation for handling both straightforward and more complex estate administration matters sensitively and effectively. Our large team has real depth and breadth of expertise covering all areas of inheritance law, so we can provide clear, pragmatic legal guidance no matter your requirements.
We are ranked Tier 1 for Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate and Tier 3 for Contentious Trusts and Probate by the Legal 500.
The following members of our Private Client team are ranked by the highly respected Chambers & Partners client guide:
- James Lister for Private Wealth Disputes (The South)
- Nick Acomb for Private Wealth Law (Guildford & Surrounds)
- Daryl Fox for Private Wealth Law (Guildford & Surrounds)
- Rosie Todd for Private Wealth Law (Guildford & Surrounds)
Our private client team includes 11 members of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP), which is the leading global association for professionals specialising in inheritance and succession planning. This reflects the exceptional strength of our private client team, with full STEP membership requiring extensive training and rigorous examination to achieve. James Hardaker holds the STEP Advanced Certificate in Cross-Border Estates.
Our STEP members are:
- Nick Acomb
- Katie Davies
- James Hardaker
- Kirsty Liddiard
- Duncan McGowan
- Jared McHardy
- Rachel Tavroges-Hunter
- Sophie West
Consult our probate solicitors in Guildford
For clear, practical advice on probate and estate administration in Guildford, Surrey and the surrounding area, please get in touch with our expert team now.