Following on from our eight-part podcast series (listen to all episodes here), Charlotte Tillett and Tom Collins have written an insider’s guide to patent and know-how licensing. First published in The Licensing Journal, the guide is intended as a reference source covering a number of key issues that often arise in the context of licensing transactions.
Negotiating patent and know-how licences can be a time-consuming and costly exercise, but given the long-term nature and significance of these agreements, it is important to get it right. In the guide, Charlotte and Tom explore how the parties negotiating licensing deals can navigate tricky legal and commercial issues to strike an acceptable balance of risk and reward.
The guide covers:
- the importance of defining the deal at an early stage and agreeing headline commercial terms
- assignment and sublicensing considerations
- payment provisions and common pitfalls
- warranties and indemnities
- termination – key concerns and practical points
- dispute resolution mechanisms and strategies for when things go wrong.
This piece was first published in The Licensing Journal and can be accessed via the button below.