Markus is an experienced property litigator helping developers, property investors and occupiers across all sectors to manage their assets, mitigate risks and resolve disputes.
Markus trained and qualified at a City law firm. He joined Stevens & Bolton in 2015.
Markus advises on freehold and leasehold property matters, with particular expertise in covenants, rights over land and devising vacant possession strategies. He regularly supports clients with their day-to-day property issues, including rent arrears, dilapidations, lease renewals, break options and applications for consent. Markus works closely with the restructuring and insolvency team when property disputes arise out of insolvency events. He is also spearheading the real estate group’s growing international practice, through his network of international lawyers.
Recent highlights include:
- Successfully defending a claim by a developer in a dispute over the enforcement of an option agreement
- Advising on issues arising out of a multi-million pound redevelopment scheme including enforceability of restrictive covenants, easements and drainage rights
- Defending High Court proceedings arising out of an alleged derogation from grant and inducement following termination of a long commercial lease. The case was settled on favourable terms
- Opposing a claim for breach of contract and forfeiture brought against a corporate operator across its large property portfolio and successfully avoiding disruption to its business
- Advising a well-known restaurant chain on management issues across its portfolio of properties, including complex lease issues arising at its flagship premises in Central London
- Advising both landlords and corporate occupiers on issues arising out of COVID-19, including rent concessions, enforcement of guarantees and forfeiture