Markus provides developers, property investors, corporate occupiers, estates and individuals with practical and commercial legal advice across a whole range of property disputes.
His expertise includes development related issues including enforcement of freehold covenants, rights and options over land as well as contractual disputes and devising vacant possession strategies. He also advises on all day-to-day commercial landlord and tenant issues, including contested and uncontested lease renewals, dilapidations claims, break notices, debt recovery, forfeiture, applications for consent and property aspects of insolvency.
Markus is also spearheading the Real Estate group’s international practice through his links with a number of European law firms and his regular attendance at various European Real Estate events.
Clients like how he gets to the heart of complex matters quickly and for his expert and knowledgeable insight.
Recent experience includes:
- Advising a landowner/developer on the interpretation and enforcement of an option exercised pursuant to an agreement to purchase land for development.
- Devising and executing a successful vacant possession strategy to enable a developer client to build its scheme with minimal delay.
- Advising an estate owner on the enforceability of restrictive covenants and using this to successfully negotiate their release.
- Advising on the enforceability of an easement and issues of derogation from grant and inducement following termination of a long lease.
- Successfully opposing a claim for breach of contract and threats of forfeiture for a well-known corporate operator across the whole of its property portfolio.
- Advising on a multi-million pound redevelopment in relation to drainage rights and the enforceability of restrictive covenants and easements.
- Advising a well-known restaurant chain on day-to-day matters across its portfolio of restaurants including complex issues raised by occupation by its subtenant pursuant to the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 at its flagship premises.
- Advising a landlord investor client on problems caused by unlawful activities being carried out by its tenants at various sites, including unlawful alterations, use and assignments.
- Advising on the validity of a break option following the exercise of a conditional right to terminate a lease.