Richard is an experienced corporate partner who spends most of his time leading a wide variety of corporate/M&A transactions and helping to manage some of the firm’s most important client relationships. Having also enjoyed spells as head of corporate and as the firm’s managing partner, Richard brings a wealth of practical business experience and advises both major corporate groups and entrepreneurs.
Having trained and worked with a leading City law firm, Richard joined Stevens & Bolton in the late 1980s and became a partner in 1990.
Richard deals with a wide range of corporate, corporate finance and related regulatory work, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, private equity transactions, joint ventures and corporate governance issues. His sector experience includes technology, outsourcing, renewable energy and other projects, and food, catering and hospitality.
A deals man at heart, Richard enjoys getting under the skin of the commercial fundamentals of each transaction and helping clients to achieve their priorities, while working with all deal participants in a positive and collaborative way.
Recent highlights include:
- Advising on the sale of Worksmart, a regulatory technology specialist, to Davies, a leading specialist professional services and technology business serving insurance and highly regulated markets
- Advising cloud kitchens business Karma Kitchens on its strategic series A funding round giving it access to £252m to help fund expansion in the UK and across Europe
- Advising Future Biogas on funding rounds, project funding and project structures, as well numerous M&A transactions
- Advising on the sale of research analytics business Bonamy Finch, part of combining that business with researchbods to create STRAT7, backed by Horizon Capital
- Advising on the global restructuring of BMT Group, a design, engineering, science and risk management group
- Acting for FTSE 100 international distribution and outsourcing group Bunzl plc on numerous strategic UK acquisitions
- Advising Rock Rail on equity co-investment projects and wider strategic advice
- Advising renewables group Ylem (formerly ENER-G) and related businesses on many transactions including the sale of its cogeneration division and ENER-G brand to Centrica
- Advising the sellers and management on the sale of LDC-backed asset management and leasing business Microlease to Electro Rent Corporation (backed by Platinum Equity)
- Advising on the sale of research, consultancy and data analytics specialists, PCI Consulting Group, to Wood MacKenzie/Verisk Analytics
Richard has contributed to leading textbooks on company law and lectures regularly.
Richard is listed as a leading corporate finance lawyer in the Chambers UK and The Legal 500 directories, and by The Legal 500 publication, ‘Legal Experts’, as an expert in corporate and M&A work.