Having advised clients of all size, whether regional or national, whether in the manufacturing supply chain, a retailer, a technology solutions provider or in the motorsport industry (as part of our sports offering), we offer legal expertise to the automotive sector across a broad range of disciplines.
Our team recognise the challenges faced by our clients as a consequence of economic, political and environmental change, yet has the knowledge and experience to support them in achieving their commercial objectives.
This experience has included:
- Set up, establishment and expansion of retail centres, manufacturing and storage facilities
- Technology agreements (in connection with driverless cars and mapping technology, and the use of “big data” (including telematics))
- Site and dealership portfolio management, including lease negotiations
- Protection of confidential information and data protection
- Compliance and disputes advice, including under the automotive block exemptions and related competition law issues
- Brand monitoring, including patents, trade marks and design rights, as well as reputation management for racing drivers
- Sponsorship and celebrity endorsement arrangements
Examples of the team’s work include:
- Advising a well-known international automotive brand in relation to the roll-out of web technology to dealers, and appointment of an agency to supply various digital and IT-related services to that manufacturer and its dealerships
- Advising a leading British supercar manufacturer in relation to manufacturing and testing facilities in Yorkshire.
- Advising a manufacturer of components for motorsport customers in relation to immigration and employment issues in relation to a visiting design engineer and the application of exemptions that exist in the motorsport industry.
- Managing the intellectual property portfolio for a well-known motorsport team and acting on their behalf in proceedings for trademark infringement, passing off and copyright infringement.
- Advising a German manufacturer and supplier of parts to the automotive sector in defence of a claim for damages for alleged wrongful termination of a logistics contract.
- Advising a financial services technology company in relation to a claim for breach of contract following the unilateral termination of a contract for the development of a mobile and tablet App for Formula E.
- Advising a well-known international manufacturer on the development of an import storage and preparation facility in Lincolnshire
- Advising a car finance company in connection with its restructuring
- Advising a client on the acquisition of a network of well-known UK repair and service centres