Gustaf is a highly experienced competition and regulatory partner assisting clients across a wide range of risk areas and providing commercial solutions to complex issues.
Gustaf is head of the competition and regulatory practice. He worked in UK government and at a leading national practice before joining Stevens & Bolton in 2010. He became a partner in 2013.
Gustaf combines expertise across the regulatory spectrum and deep knowledge of public law and governmental issues with extensive experience of commercial advice and negotiation. His experience includes competition law matters, such as competition law investigations and merger control; EU law matters such as public procurement, state aid and free movement; consumer law investigations; international trade and sanctions law; and anti-bribery law. He also has experience of drafting and negotiating national and international contracts and advising on commercial law matters. Gustaf’s clients range from global corporates to owner-managed businesses, and his sector specialisms include FMCG, life sciences, retail and TMT.
He has a wealth of experience in international work, including advising on the consequences of Brexit, and frequently works with lawyers and clients in other jurisdictions. He is on the firm’s International Practice Group board and manages relationships with firms in a variety of jurisdictions, including the Nordics and Japan.
Recent highlights include:
- Advising companies and individuals that are subject to, or interested parties in, government investigations – recent published examples include the CMA’s ongoing investigations into suspected anti-competitive agreements relating to pharmaceuticals and the CMA’s decision in relation to pricing of musical instruments
- Co-ordinating international and EU merger filings for a global technology business
- Successful judicial review of the Home office’s policy on the importation of pharmaceuticals
- Providing trade and sanctions law advice to a variety of international technology businesses
- Advising an overseas development company on the resolution of issues relating to bribery and corruption
- Providing advice to a company in a highly regulated sector on the legal and regulatory impacts of Brexit and how to mitigate risks
- Successfully negotiating commercial arrangements for a business critical enterprise resource planning (ERP) system
Gustaf is a member of the International Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Law Society’s competition section.
He routinely speaks at UK and international conferences and writes for various industry and legal publications.