Settlement and British Citizenship
  1. Settlement and British Citizenship


    Once you have spent a certain period of time in the UK (usually five years) you may be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK (also known as permanent residence or settlement).  However, this very much depends on your immigration status as not all categories lead to settlement.

    We are well placed to assist with settlement applications and to advise you and, your employer on the process and the documents required.  Once you have settlement or indefinite leave to remain you are no longer subject to immigration control and may work for any employer in the UK.  Settlement is therefore usually highly sought after. 

    It is however possible to lose your indefinite leave to remain status. So if you are planning to leave the UK, especially for a period of more than two year, it is recommended you seek advice on whether this will impact your indefinite leave to remain status.

    Once you have obtained indefinite leave to remain you may wish to consider applying for naturalisation as a British citizen, the first step to obtaining a British passport.  There are strict requirements which have to be met, particularly in relation to aspects such as good character (including past convictions) and residency requirements.  The team has a wealth of experience in advising individuals in relation to submitting these applications and maximising the chance that the application will be successful.

        • Brexit
        • Employment
        • Franchising
        • Immigration
        • +44 (0)1483 734270
        • Guildford
        • View profile
        • Brexit
        • Immigration
        • Life sciences
        • +44 (0)1483 734243
        • Guildford
        • View profile
        • Immigration
        • +44 (0)1483406974
        • View profile
  2. News


    COVID-19 concession extended

    Right to rent - update

    Brexit checklist for employers

    Brexit update - where are we now?

    New Global Talent visa proposed

    EU Settlement Scheme - update


    Immigration Update - March 2020

    Immigration Update - December 2019

    Immigration Update - July 2019

    Immigration Update - April 2019

    Immigration Update - February 2019

    Immigration Update - January 2019

    Immigration Update - July 2018

    Immigration Update - April 2018

    Briefing Notes

Search our site