Our multi-disciplinary REGULATORY team advises across a wide range of client sectors and practice areas
Planning and Environment
Stevens & Bolton LLP is one of the few law firms in the south with specialist environmental and planning expertise. The team includes Catherine Davey and Valerie Fogleman.
Our planning and environment team is listed as a leading practice by Chambers UK and The Legal 500, and individual members are recognised by all of the major legal directories.
We regularly advise clients on:
- Environmental and climate change issues: - in share and asset transactions, including the environmental and climate change aspects of a share transaction of over £1.1bn - in property transactions, and - arising on planning applications
- Environmental compliance issues arising from commercial contracts including advice to commercial occupiers in relation to remediation issues regarding dilapidations claims
- Regulatory and liability matters relating to:
- contaminated land and other environmental liability issues
- waste issues including alleged breaches of waste management licences, alleged breaches of waste management licensing requirements and negotiating on behalf of clients with the Environment Agency
- waste licensing breaches by adjacent occupiers
- statutory nuisances, including advice to car retailers on alleged nuisance from early morning deliveries and to industrial occupiers on alleged night time noise and smells from industrial sites
- Land drainage and flood and sea defence issues
- Asbestos liabilities
- Environmental provisions in insurance policies
- Environmental claims
Additionally, Valerie Fogleman is part of a team with BIO Intelligence Services in three projects for the European Commission on the Environmental Liability Directive.
- Planning applications and appeals
- Drafting and negotiating planning obligations
- Regulatory matters including advising clients on alleged breaches of planning control, enforcement notices, appeals and prosecutions
- Evidence required to support certificate of lawfulness applications
- Issues relating to the local plan process
- Judicial review of decisions by local planning authorities and the planning inspectorate(including advice to interested parties)
- EIA and SEA
- Advertisement consents
- Highways (including public rights of way)
Clients of the team range from multinationals and FTSE 100 companies to owner-managed businesses.