Our REAL ESTATE team is recognised for providing City-style service
Planning, Environment and Health & Safety
Stevens & Bolton LLP is one of the few law firms in the south with specialist environmental and planning expertise.
Our planning and environment team is listed as a leading practice by Chambers UK and The Legal 500, and individual members are recognised by all of the major legal directories.
We regularly advise clients on:
- Environmental, climate change and health & safety issues:
- in share and asset transactions, including the environmental, climate change and health & safety aspects of a share transaction of over £1.1bn
- in property transactions, and
- arising on planning applications
- Environmental compliance issues arising from commercial contracts including advice to commercial occupiers in relation to remediation issues regarding dilapidations claims
- Regulatory and liability matters relating to:
- contaminated land and other environmental liability issues
- waste issues including alleged breaches of waste management licences, alleged breaches of waste management licensing requirements and negotiating on behalf of clients with the Environment Agency
- waste licensing breaches by adjacent occupiers
- statutory nuisances, including advice to car retailers on alleged nuisance from early morning deliveries and to industrial occupiers on alleged night time noise and smells from industrial sites
- Land drainage and flood and sea defence issues
- Asbestos liabilities
- Environmental provisions in insurance policies
- Environmental claims
Additionally, Consultant Valerie Fogleman is part of a team with BIO Intelligence Services in three projects for the European Commission on the Environmental Liability Directive.
- Planning applications and appeals
- Drafting and negotiating planning obligations
- Regulatory matters including advising clients on alleged breaches of planning control, enforcement notices, appeals and prosecutions
- Evidence required to support certificate of lawfulness applications
- Issues relating to the local plan process
- Judicial review of decisions by local planning authorities and the planning inspectorate(including advice to interested parties)
- EIA and SEA
- Advertisement consents
- Highways (including public rights of way)
Clients of the team range from multinationals and FTSE 100 companies to owner-managed businesses.